Experience the stories of those who built this Norwegian American legacy.
Due to road re-construction of the intersection of Page Street and Hwy 51, directly in front of our building, we will be closed from August 11- through August 22.
We apologize for any inconvenience.
Covid-19 protocols may be reviewed on our website: https://www.livsreise.org
Livsreise will be open Tuesday through Saturday, 10:00 am – 3:00 pm.
Exceptions may be made for special events, such as Syttende Mai.
Reservations will be requested.
Livsreise has diligently prepared for reopening by establishing additional safety and cleaning protocols to address the risk of coronavirus. We are following the Dane Forward recommendations and WEDC guidelines to keep our guests and staff safe and healthy.
Through reservations, group size will be limited, entrance times will be spaced out and building capacity will also be limited. Staff will wear face masks and additional sanitation measures will be taken. Certain areas of the center such as our genealogy lab and auditorium may be temporarily closed. To stay connected with us we encourage you to join our email list. You can also find us on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/norwegianheritagecenter/, “like” our page and share your experience.
• Livsreise will be open from 10:00 am to 3:00 pm Tuesday through Saturday. Our hours are subject to change. Please make a reservation by calling 608-873-7567 during business hours or through this link https://www.livsreise.org, prior to your visit.
• Reservations are requested to visit the Norwegian Heritage Center. You can make a reservation 24/7 through our website a minimum of 24 hours in advance. For the immediate future, visits will be limited to one hour. Available time slots for your visit are as follows:
10:00 AM-11:00 AM
11:15 AM–12:15 PM
12:45 PM-1:45 PM
2:00 PM-3:00 PM
• Children ages 6 and above are welcome to visit the center.
• If a guest arrives at the Norwegian Heritage Center without a reservation they will be accommodated if our present capacity is under 15 visitors. The guest(s) would be expected to leave at the end of that time slot regardless of their entry time. Alternatively, a reservation may be made for an available time the same day or they may schedule a visit at a future date and time.
• To ensure proper social distancing we will accept groups of up to 15 visitors at one time in our building.
• Guests and staff will be asked to adhere to proper social distancing regulations.
• Face masks are required prior to entry and for the duration of your visit. If you do not have a face covering a disposable mask will be provided for you at no charge.
• The center will adhere to significantly increased daily cleaning and sanitation requirements and there will be cleaning stations in the building.
• Frequently touched surfaces will be routinely disinfected.
• We ask that you refrain from touching all surfaces, woodwork, etc. in the gallery with the exception of the touch screens on the heritage kiosks, storybooks and map wall icons. All touch screens will be sanitized between visits.
• Staff and guests who are displaying symptoms of COVID-19 or who are feeling ill are asked to stay home.
• Staff will have temperatures taken daily.
• The Norwegian Heritage Center will follow strict guest engagement protocols, including the use of shared facilities such as public restrooms.
We hope to see you soon!!
Livsreise will be closed New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Day after Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Year’s Eve. For special events, please contact us.
Livsreise is free to the public. There may be a fee for group use or special events. Please contact the center for more information.
Photography is not allowed in any portion of the facility.
There is construction on Main Street west of Livsreise. The parking lot will be accessible from the Page Street entrance.
A large dedicated parking lot for Livsreise visitors only is available just west of our building on the corner of Main and Page streets with plenty of room for autos or motor coaches. If you have any questions regarding handicapped parking please contact us at 608-873-7567.
The special exhibits area at Livsreise includes temporary displays curated by outside organizations that focus on heritage, history and message consistent with the mission of Livsreise. See current exhibit ›
Auditorium – Temporarily closed
Livsreise includes a 68-seat, handicapped accessible theatre featuring videos focusing on Norwegian culture, history, folk art, music and delightful Norwegian humor. The auditorium will also host periodic lectures and presentations.
Our auditorium is Hearing Loop enabled.
Genealogy Center – Temporarily closed
Our genealogy lab is temporarily closed. We encourage you to contact the Norwegian American Genealogical Center-NAGC in Madison, Wisconsin for research assistance. http://www.nagcnl.org/
Operated in conjunction with the Norwegian American Genealogy Center and Naeseth Library, Livsreise’s genealogy center offers its visitors direct internet access to NAGC/NL and its resources. Their publication, titled A Research Guide for Norwegian Genealogy is available for use by Livsreise guests. It contains tips on understanding Norwegian naming patterns, genealogical terms and English translation of terms found on Norwegian church records. The Digital Archives of Norway, along with Norwegian Heritage and Family Search are also featured websites to aid in your family research.
*Photo Courtesy of the Kubala Washatko Architects, Inc.