Experience the stories of those who built this Norwegian American legacy.
Due to COVID-19 we have limited capacity
Open Tuesday through Saturday
9:30 am -12:15 pm 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm
Closed for lunch 12:15 pm – 1:00 pm
LIVSREISE UPDATED COVID RESTRICTIONS
Reservations Required for your visit effective 11/17/2020.
Call 608-873-7567 to reserve your visit.
**Exceptions may be made for special events, such as Syttende Mai.
Livsreise will be closed New Year’s Day, Good Friday, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day, and New Years Eve. For special events, please contact us.
Livsreise has diligently prepared for reopening by establishing additional safety and cleaning protocols to address the risk of coronavirus. We are following the Forward Dane recommendations and WEDC guidelines to keep our guests and staff safe and healthy.
For the safety of visitors and staff, group size will be limited, entrance times will be spaced out and building capacity will also be limited. Staff will wear face masks and additional sanitation measures will be taken. Certain areas of the center such as our genealogy lab and auditorium are temporarily closed.
Find us on Facebook, “like” our page and share your experience. https://www.facebook.com/norwegianheritagecenter/
- Please keep in mind at present our capacity is limited to 10 visitors.
- Children ages 6 and above are welcome to visit the center.
- Guests and staff are asked to adhere to proper social distancing regulations.
- Face masks are required prior to entry and for the duration of your visit. If you do not have a face covering a mask will be provided for you at no charge.
- Sanitization stations are available throughout the building.
- Frequently touched surfaces, including restrooms will be routinely disinfected.
- Staff and guests who are displaying symptoms of COVID-19 or who are feeling ill are asked to stay home.
- Staff has temperatures taken daily
- The Norwegian Heritage Center will follow strict guest engagement protocols
- Because our genealogy lab is temporarily closed, you are encouraged to contact the Norwegian American Genealogical Center-NAGC in Madison, Wisconsin for research assistance.
We hope to see you soon!!
Livsreise is free to the public. There may be a fee for group use or special events. Please contact the center for more information.
Photography is not allowed in any portion of the facility.
A large dedicated parking lot for Livsreise visitors only is available just west of our building on the corner of Main and Page streets with plenty of room for autos or motor coaches. If you have any questions regarding handicapped parking please contact us at 608-873-7567.
The special exhibits area at Livsreise includes temporary displays curated by outside organizations that focus on heritage, history and message consistent with the mission of Livsreise. See current exhibit ›
Auditorium – Temporarily closed
Livsreise includes a 68-seat, handicapped accessible theatre featuring videos focusing on Norwegian culture, history, folk art, music and delightful Norwegian humor. The auditorium will also host periodic lectures and presentations.
Our auditorium is Hearing Loop enabled.
Genealogy Center – Temporarily closed
Our genealogy lab is temporarily closed. We encourage you to contact the Norwegian American Genealogical Center-NAGC in Madison, Wisconsin for research assistance. http://www.nagcnl.org/
Operated in conjunction with the Norwegian American Genealogy Center and Naeseth Library, Livsreise’s genealogy center offers its visitors direct internet access to NAGC/NL and its resources. Their publication, titled A Research Guide for Norwegian Genealogy is available for use by Livsreise guests. It contains tips on understanding Norwegian naming patterns, genealogical terms and English translation of terms found on Norwegian church records. The Digital Archives of Norway, along with Norwegian Heritage and Family Search are also featured websites to aid in your family research.
*Photo Courtesy of the Kubala Washatko Architects, Inc.